The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

Los Altos Retains the Wheel After Blow Out Victory

Damien Alvarado

The Los Altos Conquerors faced off against Wilson Wildcats on Friday, September 1st. This game was important to the city of Hacienda Heights as both schools were looking forward to bragging rights, and most importantly the victory wheel.

The “Battle for the Wheel” rivalry game has been a tradition for both schools for decades. The Conquerors have had the wheel since 2011. The last time the Wildcats had the wheel was in 2010, when they beat Los Altos 33-10. Since 2004 the Conquerors hold an 11-2 record over the Wildcats.

Wilson opened the game with an early onside kick, but failed after Senior Dom Miceli recovered the ball. Neither the Conquerors nor the Wildcats could get anything going on their first offensive posessions, which led to punts for both teams. It was not till the 6:40 mark when Los Altos Senior running back Keith Anderson, rushed into the end zone for a five-yard touchdown. Near the end of the first quarter Wilson’s Junior quarterback, Nicholas Aguayo converted a third down pass to Junior Receiver Nicholas Quiroz, for a 17-yard gain. That conversion was for nothing as the Conqueror defense eventually forced Wilson to punt.

To begin the second quarter the Conquerors drove down the field for a 6-yard touchdown run by Anderson, giving Los Altos a 14-0 lead. Wilson continued to struggle on offense, but the Los Altos offense led by Senior Quarterback Kody Olmos, continued to score. With 9:30 to go in the second quarter Olmos escaped the pressure, and connected with Sophomore receiver Rene Zaldivar for a 16-yard touchdown increasing their lead 21-0. The Conquerors advanced the score to 28-0 late in the second. With 17 seconds remaining in the second quarter, Wilson’s Aguayo connected with receiver Quiroz for a 16-yard touchdown. Los Altos went into halftime with a 28-7 lead.

The second half was an aerial show put on by Kody Olmos. He threw a screen pass to Senior receiver Quin Peoples, which turned into a 72-yard sprint to the end zone. Kody later completed a back-shoulder fade to Senior receiver Estaban Castro, for the 17-yard touchdown, to extend the Conqueror lead 42-7. Olmos later sealed the game on a 4-yard run into the end zone, securing a 49-7 victory.

With a season under his belt Kody Olmos has played confident thus far, allowing him to play with swagger, “My confidence has improved, this being my second year on varsity, I know what to expect”, Olmos stated.  Kody not only passed all over Wilson but he ran for 72 yards and one touchdown. He completed 13-20 of his passes and amassed 314 yards through the air with three touchdowns. Olmos commented about the victory, “It means a lot to everybody, we showed everyone that we are better than what they think we are.”

Keith Anderson led the rushing attack with 116 yards for two touchdowns, while Quin Peoples led in receiving, with 6 catches for 179 yards and 1 touchdown.  Wilsons’ Aguayo went 14-27, throwing one touchdown, an interception, and just over 170 yards.

“We just need to get back on the practice field Monday and work as a team more to get better,” Olmos commented. The Conquerors keep the wheel and are getting back to work as they face St. Paul on Friday September 8th.