The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

Conquerors Fall to Tartans

Damien Alvarado

Los Altos took to the road to face off against Glendora in a non-league game on Friday September 16th. The Conquerors have been dominating all year on offense and defense, but struggled on both sides against the Tartans.

The first play of the game resulted in an offside’s on the defense and the ensuing snap resulted in miscommunication on the defense which led to a 60-yard touchdown pass from Glendora’s’ Bryce Wooldridge to receiver Cameron Keller. The Conquerors drove down the field but resulted in an interception when Glendora’s corner jumped the route and intercepted Senior quarterback Kody Olmos’s pass. The Tartans later took a 14-0 lead when Wooldridge threaded the needle through the Los Altos defense for a 5-yard pass.

Later in the first, the Conquerors were able to score their first touchdown after Kody Olmos ran in a 12-yard draw into the end zone. The Conquerors and Tartans both scored before half which left the score within striking distance at 20-13. Glendora came out at half scoring 14 consecutive points. The Los Altos defense and offense had no answer. The defense allowed third down conversions for the Tartans while the offense struggled keeping the ball, fumbling three times.

Late in the fourth the Conquerors were able to get a 40 yard touchdown pass from Olmos  to Sophomore receiver Rene Zaldivar. The final score resulted in a 41-25 loss for the Conquerors.

The Conquerors lost the turnover battle and Senior linebacker Gil Vazquez agreed, “It was not our best performance, we made too many mistakes that cost us the game.”  Junior defensive tackle Isaac Cruz commented “Turnovers, lack of pass rush from the defense and to many third and longs, we also dug ourselves into a hole with penalties.”

On Friday September 23rd Los Altos will take on Newport Harbor at home at 7pm. Vazquez commented about the teams preparation for the game, “We will prepare for Newport like we have with any other team. Though this time we need to practice harder, it sucks to lose.” Cruz commented, “As a team, we need to improve on the things I mentioned, I have no doubt this team will bounce back against Newport.”