The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

The Cross Country Team is Ready to Compete

Aaron Kim

As their season has recently started, the cross country team has been practicing many long hours to prepare for their races against the other schools.

Junior Carolina Elizarraras is a member of the girls’ varsity team, and has been training throughout the summer, along with other’s on the team, for their season. When asked about what they do to train for their 3 mile races, Elizarraras describes, “Other than our typical runs like long runs, speed workouts, we have been doing a lot of other drills like lunges, squats, karaokes, and butt kicks. Our practices are always 2 hours long, from 6 to 7 days a week.”

Having already ran three races with this year’s team, Elizarraras states, “We’re still getting our feet wet. So most of the races we had already, we’re just trying to see where everyone is and find ways on how we can be more aggressive when running.  I feel that the team has a lot of potential this year and also room for improvement.”

Although Elizarraras was sick at her most recent race at Bonelli Park, she still managed to place in the top ten in her race.

Junior Christian Castro is a member of the guy’s varsity team, and has also been working hard to outrun the other school’s racers. When asked about what he has been doing to prepare, Castro states, “This season I’m trying to really take care of my body by taking more ice baths and stretching.”

Castro describes his most recent race as, “It was a great race at Bonelli Park. I placed 2nd but I should’ve attacked for 1st because I still had a lot of energy left.”

Castro, along with the other racers that are a part of the team have all been stepping up their game this season to achieve their personal goals and team goals.