The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

Intense Practices Will Make Wrestling Strive To Victory

Aaron Pimentel

Training in and out of the wrestling room, 100 percent effort at all time, the wrestling team is fighting vigorously to make it on top to be ready for CIF.

With close second in league, most wrestlers to CIF, and two of them in masters, the team had a good run last year. “This year will be different,” claims wrestling team captain Adrian Ojeda. “Everything done in practice helps big time because you learn but also correct your mistakes to overall improve yourself,” Adrian adds on.

Going through intense practices every Monday to Thursday, 3:00 PM to 6:00, Jadon Rocha states, “Football players say our practice is more difficult than theirs. We need to have these long and extreme practices to be in the best shape of our lives,” Rocha continues.

The wrestling team has lots of team bonding, but they have wrestle offs to determine their spots. Being in shape and being skilled in wrestling is not the only factor in determining your position. A wresler’s weight shows whether a person is in a specific class.

Some weight classes can include; 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220 and 285 pounds. Wrestlers maintain, gain, or lose weight to be in their desired class. Each weight class has only one available varsity spot, which makes the spots even more desirable.

Every wrestler has their own personal goal. “What I’m looking forward to the most this season is improving and showing that improvement on the mat. The practices don’t just help physically, but also mentally,” says Ismael Ojeda.

Anybody can join the wrestling team. If anyone is interested, they simply get the physical form filled and from there on, they can start practicing. With limited varsity spots, every single wrestler gives their heart out to do what they love.