The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

Conquerors Bounce Back after Defeating Newport

Damien Alvarado

The Los Altos Conquerors football team came into the game after a blow out lost to Glendora 41-25. The Conquerors had a record of 3-1 while Newport came into the game 0-3. The Sailors were desperately looking for their first win of the season, but they fell short to the Conquerors

The Sailors started their first possession going three and out. The Conquerors were able to drive down the field, but penalties killed the drive resulting in a field goal kicked by Senior Alexis Medina. Newport drove down the field at the end of the first quarter to take a 6-3 lead after running back Jaylen Andrews was able to pound it into the end zone.

Los Altos scored 10 unanswered points going into the second half, after Senior Quarterback Kody Olmos got to the outside and rushed in for a eight-yard touchdown. The Conquerors led the Sailors 11-6 at half. In the second half the Conquerors started to pull away after Olmos hit Senior Receiver Quinn Peoples for a 55-yard touchdown. The Sailors drove down the field early in the fourth to convert on a two-yard touchdown catch by Will Harvey.

With an 18-13 lead for the Conquerors and eight minutes to go in the fourth both teams struggled to get anything going on offense. Late in the fourth Los Altos kicker Medina gave the Conquerors an eight point cushion after nailing a 20-yard field goal. With a 21-13 lead the Los Altos defense defended, a couple long passes from Newport and ended the game with the victory.

Senior Estaban Castro came up big with a strip tackle and huge stops on defense, ” The big hits were key, they helped pumped us up.” Castro was able to ignite some energy throughout the defense. “I played a good game today, but the team played great as a whole and we can always improve on our mistakes,” commented Castro.

The Conquerors forced turnovers throughout the night and won the turn over battle, Head Coach Hector Spathias mentioned, ” The defense came up big in key situations, they forced fumbles and got an interception in the end zone. Whoever wins the turn over war usually wins the game.”  Los Altos will head into the bye week 4-1 and will take on the Walnut Mustangs on the road, Friday October 6th. Spathias feels the team can still improve, ” We need to focus on ball security and finishing drives, but the team has improved a lot so far.”