The Conqueror

The Day Los Altos Students took the PSAT

Kessia Cisneros

The time has come where 9th, 10th and 11th grade students were able to take the practice test that will eventually prepare for the real thing; the SAT. On October 11, 2017 at precisely 8 am all sophomores were assigned to take the test in their assigned classes, while all freshman and juniors who signed up for the test took it in the gym.

The start of the PSAT began with instructions on filling out the basic information that helps College Board relay information back to students as well as their test scores. When all was prepared and ready to go, the test began.

The PSAT consisted of 4 sections: 2 sections of English and 2 sections of Math. Each section had limited time and no students were allowed to go back to finish or change answers once the time for that section was complete. Any attempted to finish a certain section would end in a possible unscored test. Once the test began, students had 60 minutes to finish the reading portion of the Evidence- Based Reading and Writing, which would eventually lead up to a 35 minute writing portion to finish off the English sections. Students then only had 5 minutes breaks for each section once completed. The start of the first Math portion began and students had 45 minutes to complete the section before moving on the last portion of the Math section with 25 minutes left. It was only then could students use an approve calculator.

Once the test ended, students were allowed to leave hoping for the better.

Junior Rick Rodriguez said, “I felt pretty confident when doing both English sections, I was able to understand the readings given as well has the grammar portion. It was not until the Math sections where then I had some difficulties, but overall I felt like I did the best I could and I hope it shows.” Rodriguez also states, “I hope the PSAT scores will help me review for the SAT and help me improve my chances of doing well on the real thing.”

Junior Veronica Baez said, “During the test I was nervous because I wanted to do well, and see what areas I need to work on for the actual SAT. While taking the test I felt confident, but it was not until the end where I felt the most relieved once I finished.” Baez also says, “If I could do the test again I would definitely try to study formulas for the math section, and focus on problems that I struggled on in the PSAT.”

Although stressful and nerve wreaking, the PSAT allows students to learn how to develop and improve their scores while preparing for the real test.