Annual District College Fair Returns Hosted by Workman High

Natalie Contreras

Student’s rush into the Wilson gym as the annual district college fair arrives with dozens of students waiting to ask questions. Colleges such as UCLA, Harvard, UCSB, and more arrived to answer student’s questions.

The college fair is an important event for many upperclassmen that want to discover what college they can and may get into. The college fair was on September 21,2019 from 10 AM to 3PM.

Junior Lauren Stratton said “ The college fair benefits the students because instead of reading information on a website they can actually talk to representatives and ask serious questions”

When walking into the school students at Workman high school whom were hosting the event handed students a complimentary bag with a sheet of paper that listed what to expect at the college fair.

Junior Yasmine Villarreal said, “ The college fair gives a lot of information about not just colleges, but the army and military too”

The college fair is a good way to branch out to other smaller colleges that are not as well known as the Ivy League or the UC schools. When asking questions to the college representatives, students are able to discover how many universities they are able to go to whether it’s a match for grades or the lower cost compared to a UC school.

“ The college fair is important because it gives us comfort that colleges do want you to succeed and aim for a diverse campus.” Said Villarreal

By going to the college fair students from all over HLPUSD can receive a better understanding of what schools are available to them. Although this fair is especially important for Junior and seniors it’s also good for freshmen and sophomores to see what colleges expect from them and strive for the grades wanted.

“The fair is important because students can receive a better understanding on how the colleges should best fit them because the representatives sometimes went there themselves and understand what it’s like to live/ be a student there” Said Stratton.

If students weren’t able to go to the college fair this year because it is an annual students can go to next years. Also if do join any clubs that do need community service hours the college fair is not only a great way to meet those service hours, but also talk to representatives when students helping them settle all their items.