The Conqueror

PSAT Season Begins for Perspective SAT Takers

Sabrina Sanchez

As the school year gets into full swing, Los Altos students of all grades are doing all that they can to prepare themselves for an intimidating exam that can open doors, as well as close them- the SAT. Los Altos provides students with the opportunity to take a practice exam, the PSAT, in order for them be ready for the real deal.

Every sophomore is required to take the PSAT on October 19. “If I wasn’t required to take it, I would still take it so I could be better prepared for taking the SAT later,” explained sophomore Paul Arredondo.

Even though sophomores are required to take this practice exam, freshmen and juniors are allowed to take the PSAT as well in order to get the extra practice. Junior Jacob Porras commented, “I’m very nervous to take the SAT and I do think the PSAT will help me get a head start for the actual sat good practice.”

Students who took the PSAT in past years however, felt as if the practice exam did not help them as much as they would have wanted. Senior Juliana Gaeta stared, “Unfortunately, when I took the PSAT, it was still the old version of the test, and the SAT that I took was the new version, and the new test is very different from the old.”

By taking the PSAT, students are eligible for The National Merit Scholarship Program, which is an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in 1955. According to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, of the 1.6 million entrants, about 50,000 with the highest PSAT selection index scores qualify for recognition in the National Merit Scholarship Program.

For the students awaiting the practice exam, the test is up to date and ready to help students succeed during the SAT. The PSAT takes place this year on October 19, it is free for sophomores, and costs fifteen dollars for freshmen and juniors.