The student news site of Los Altos High School

The Conqueror

CIF Southern Section 41st Annual Football Press Conference

Damien Alvarado

On Monday, Head Coach Dale Ziola and three of his varsity captains attended the Southern Section’s 41st annual football championship press conference luncheon in Long Beach, California. The athletes and coaches ate an honorable meal just before Commissioner of Athletics Rob Wigod introduced the finalist.

Keynote speaker Ralph Brown, a former NFL cornerback spoke words of inspiration to the athletes. Brown preached to young athletes in hopes of winning a title that losing is not failure, he stated, “There is going to be a winner and there is going to be a loser. The loser should not take it as being defeated but be proud of all the work you put in to get there.” President of the Council, Carter Paysinger commented about what the athletes can use in life after their football playing days are over, “The process of learning and understanding how to win, that is a process that’s transferable. That is the same process that will help you win in college, in your careers, and throughout your life.”

Captains of the Los Altos Varsity football team, seniors Tyler Nevens, Andrew Manuele, and Robert “Scuba” Ramirez all participated in the luncheon. Both Manuele and Nevens had the same response about how enjoyable the food was, “Probably the best meal we have had in a while, it is way better than school lunch.” Nevens not only enjoyed the food but was blessed to be able to see all the other athletes, “It was a real honor to be here and see the different types of players here”.

Rob Wigod introduced both Los Altos and Paraclete as being outstanding division 6 teams. Wigod had mixed feelings about his alma mater, Long Beach Wilson, losing to Los Altos in the final seconds, “Although Los Altos beat Woodrow Wilson on the last play of the game they have earned the right to be here”.

Paraclete and Los Altos are both known for their rich CIF title success and both meet in the Division 6 final. Head Coach Dale Ziola and the Conquerors take on Coach Dean Herrington and the Spirits in the Southern Section Division 6 Championship this Friday at Los Altos High School, Friday, December 2 at 7:00 pm.