Recognizing Different Modes of Transportation for Students

Bikes+are+used+by+students+to+get+to+school.+Photo+by+Ayla+Santos.+

Bikes are used by students to get to school. Photo by Ayla Santos.

Though most students enjoy the comfort of being driven to places like school each and every day, it is easy to forget those who are resourceful in using other modes of transportation to get around.

Close proximity to school plays an important role in utilizing bikes, skateboards, scooters, and even their own legs for students to make their way to school each and every day. Bikes being a more common approach, students are faced with finding safe routes, high-speed or multi-lane roads, and weather changes.

Sophomore Ayla Santos said, “I have been biking to and from school for about a year now and sometimes I have to be cautious because cars do not signal or give space to bikers which makes for a pretty unpredictable environment. Especially in school areas where there are so many kids, drivers tend to become careless and it gets annoying.”

However, biking also has its perks. Not only does it serve as a great way or transportation, but a beneficial form of exercise and relaxation.

“I would say that I enjoy the shorter travel time when I am on my bike in contrast to walking,” said Santos. “Between its low exertion levels and environmental-friendly impact, it is practical compared to cars.”

At Los Altos, there is a designated area to keep all vehicles with wheels safe while students go about their day. Surprisingly enough, it is filled with all sorts of vehicles each and every day as students build confidence and independence in finding their own ways to make it to school.

“Though the school is pretty obliging when it comes to the students’ vehicles on campus, I’m also concerned about the conditions we face right outside the campus when trying to make it on time to school or even beating rush hour after school,” said Santos. “Honestly implementing more traffic lights or a simple bike lane would help a bunch. It’ll definitely make things safer.”