Cheer and Football Appreciate Gifts, Establish Peaceable Exchange

The Controversial Practice That Students Are Tired Of

The tradition of cheerleaders giving gifts to football players every week has sparked controversy on campus.

While some enjoy the tradition, others argue against the outdated ritual because of the sexism it represents.

Cheerleaders are assigned or chosen a football player for the season. Their task is to provide the players with the snacks they enjoy.

The tradition seems sweet and harmless, but it does have its downfalls.

Sophomore varsity football player Andrew Aranda said the cheerleaders, “Do a great job of getting it to us and being consistent. Some try really hard and do an awesome job.”

The football players enjoy getting these gifts from  cheerleaders every week, and the cheerleaders seem to enjoy giving gifts.

Sophomore cheerleader Angelica Arroyo said, “I think it’s something really nice that we do for the football players and they’ve earned a reward like that because they’ve worked hard all summer and still each week.”

The gifts are not always onesided.

“Most of the football players actually get their cheerleaders a gift back, it’s not an every week thing but we all end up getting our cheerleaders something. We appreciate [that] they do this so we get them something to say thank you to and show them how grateful we are,” said Aranda.

There seems to be peace between the teams. “Honestly I think it’s good… because football and cheer have been getting along this year really well and that leaves a good environment overall,” said Arroyo.