The Conqueror Journalism

The Conqueror

The Conqueror Journalism

The Conqueror

The Conqueror Journalism

The Conqueror

Hispanic Heritage Month, Who & How to Celebrate

Hispanic Heritage has been celebrated at Los Altos High School by eating, singing, and researching many topics that recognize talent in the Hispanic community.
September 15 marks the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month and the beginning of Hispanic Independence from Spain in 1808.

President Lyndon B. Johnson created Hispanic Heritage Week in 1968. President Ronald Reagan enacted Hispanic Heritage Month in 1988.
“Our department is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month by assigning projects to each Spanish level,” said Mr Murillo, a new Spanish teacher. 

Hispanic Heritage Month was created to recognize the achievements and contributions of Hispanic-American champions who have inspired others to succeed. 

“Everyone should celebrate Hispanic Heritage and where they come from, even if they aren’t Hispanic,” said Erick Murillo.
Many things make Hispanic Heritage Month different from other important ethnic groups.

“What makes Hispanic Heritage so unique is that we are one of the largest communities with over 20 Spanish-speaking countries with different cultures,” said Murillo, “and bring their culture here to be a part of the U.S.”

Los Altos High School’s Spanish department has always recognized and celebrated all students during Hispanic Heritage Month but also keeps light on those who make Hispanic Heritage so amazing.

Murillo said, “I think it’s a good time for everyone to celebrate their heritage and feel empowered and celebrate who they are.”